A study TO DETERMINE THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIAL AVAILABILITY AND USE
In this part, there has been a significant setback between the world's developing nations in general and Nigeria in particular in terms of the need for industrialization. As a result, much emphasis has been placed on the teaching of computer science beginning in primary school, which is viewed as a basic requirement if industrialization dreams are to come true.
In Nigeria, the adoption of a 60 percent to 40 percent ratio policy in secondary school admission is seen as a necessary step if the country is to develop technologically. However, computer science as a field of study existed unknowingly among us for many years prior to the introduction of formal education in Nigeria, but was only recently popularized with the arrival of western educationists.
Our forefathers never saw the four walls of a classroom or attended any schools; instead, they used tools in their daily activities. Our forefathers were able to produce cutlasses, holes, and knives which were used to cut grasses, make ridges, and other things, such as the use of stones and their hands to count money and also their brain to solve calculations like addition, subtraction, division, and multiplication, which is not unlike what we have today except with minor modifications.
Computer science is both abstract and deeply rooted in our culture. If properly taught and adopted, its application will become an integral part of our daily lives.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Every human being's life is influenced by computer science. The government's desire to create a scientifically literate citizenry, as well as the need to effectively supply her industries with much-needed man power, necessitated a complete reevaluation and improvement of the method used to teach computer science. This will improve understanding and, to some extent, stimulate interest in the natural and physical sciences, which serve as the foundation for much technological transfer.
The use of integrated computer science resource materials appeals to their senses and emotions, which aids learning. Resources materials are an effective means of learning when they are skillfully integrated into the teaching process by the teacher; they serve as aids meaningful instructions.
Before we can properly assess the performance level of students in any subject, we as teachers must first understand the students who receive educational instructions from us. We must study all of the factors affecting the pupils. According to research findings, students' performance in computer science, integrated science, or any other subject has generally deteriorated over time. Egbede (1993) and Fakuade (1976).
This could be due to a lack of equipment and facilities in the schools, rather than a lack of courses. Lack of qualified and experienced teachers, unfavorable atmosphere, insufficient space, frequent school changes by children, etc. It is important to note that the majority of students in primary and secondary school have varying levels of performance in computer science.
These educationists demonstrate that education is child-centered and that the goal of education is to develop the child in all areas of human endeavors, including computer science, according to T. S. Bajah 1970 and Farnant J. A. 1964. The significance of the child and computer science in today's educational system cannot be overstated. Nigeria is now referred to as a developing country due to its low level of technological advancement.
As a result, it is common knowledge that Nigeria requires solid foundations in computer science subjects in order to develop her technologies. Manufacturing of hardware and sophisticated materials that allow many countries to develop and industrialize is only possible with a solid foundation in computer science.
1.2 DEFINITION OF THE PROBLEM
The formative years of primary school are ideal for instilling a computer science culture. In this state, meaningful teaching and learning necessitate concrete examples, which are likely to be lacking in most schools. In this regard, the researcher intends to investigate the relationship between the availability and use of instructional materials and
students' performance in computer science in Oredo Local Government Area, Edo State, and then propose ways to encourage children, teachers, and administrators to pay more attention to the use of instructional materials in order to improve computer science performance in primary schools. As a result, the following topics will be covered in this research:
1. A scarcity of manpower specifically trained to teach computer science in these primary schools.
2. The availability and use of improvised materials in the primary school computer science curriculum.
3. The level of state and local government commitment to the acquisition of basic primary school computer science equipment required for effective computer science teaching in these schools.
4. A lack of enthusiasm on the part of the teachers
5. The student's enthusiasm for computer science.
1.3 THE PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
In the Research Project, The purpose of this study is to determine the relationship between the availability and use of instructional materials and students' performance in computer science teaching and learning, as well as to suggest ways to improve students' performance.
1.4 QUESTIONS FOR RESEARCHER
After identifying the study's problem, some research questions were developed to provide direction for this work. These are the details:
1. What are the consequences of a lack of instructional materials? it results in
a. The failure of students
b. Students' poor performance
c. A lack of knowledge about the subject.
2. Is there any educational material? What is its function? It is ineffective.
3. Does the use of instructional materials improve the effectiveness of computer science teaching and learning?
4. Is there computer science equipment and a laboratory available?
5. Does the background of students influence their use of school resource materials?
1.5 THE IMPORTANCE OF THE STUDY
The following are some of the advantages that will result from this research:
1. The research will assist teachers in their use of instructional materials to facilitate the teaching and learning of computer science.
2. To ascertain students' attitudes toward the subject of computer science.
3. raise awareness of the significance of instructional materials.
4. To determine the level of student performance in computer science.
5. The study will focus the attention of the government, non-profit organizations, PTAs, and the community on improving the use of instructional materials in order to sustain the subject's teaching.
6. The analysis and results of these problems will allow computer science curriculum planners to improve or create a better curriculum to meet the needs of the students.
1.6 TERMS AND CONDITIONS DEFINED
A computer is a type of electronic device that processes data and information.
Science is the study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural worlds, as well as society.
PTA stands for Parents Teachers Association.
Industrialization is the development of industry.
The act of knowing is referred to as knowledge.
Technology is defined as the scientific study and application of applied science.
Develop: To become more advanced or organized.
Do You Have New or Fresh Topic? Send Us Your Topic
A STUDY TO DETERMINE THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIAL AVAILABILITY AND USE