THE FACTORS AFFECTING AGRICULTURAL SCIENCE teaching AND LEARNING
BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
agriculture is derived from two Latin words: oger, which means “field,” and culture, which means “cultivation.” Agriculture literally refers to the production of crops and the rearing of animals for human consumption. Agricultural production entails a number of activities, including the cultivation of other products into forms that can be used by humans.
Processing, packaging, storage, and marketing are all examples of product preparation. Agriculture is regarded as the lifeblood of a country's domestic economy and the mother of all other business and professional occupations. Agriculture development in Nigeria will help reduce the country's reliance on volatile crude oil markets. Agriculture is classified into two types: subsistence agriculture and commercial agriculture.
Subsistence Agriculture: As men progressed from the hunting and gathering stage, they developed the art of cultivating specific plants and domesticating specific animals; this was a period of self-sufficiency that marked the beginning of settled life, and people began to gather in villages. They fashioned crude implements in order to feed their family. Today, this practice can be found in any isolated area where communication is limited, people are not exposed to modern ways of forming, and surplus capital for investment is not available.
Commercial agriculture: This is a type of farming that involves the cultivation of large areas of land, because most operations are mechanized and produce a high return in terms of money, skilled labor, and management. It is mostly practiced by wealthy farmers. The practices also necessitated the use of agrochemicals, which may pollute the environment. It may also promote erosion and other environmental problems, necessitating the development of unique marketing strategies for the successful evaluation and marketing of farm produce.
1. In this scientific age, agricultural science is important in the classroom as well as in the economic, social, and political development of any nation. In fact, the main difference between so-called developed and developing countries is their level of scientific development.
People everywhere are now aware of the important role that agricultural science and agricultural products play in society, owing to the importance placed on agricultural science education from elementary school to university level. Agricultural science is an applied science that employs scientific theories and principles to produce a product or effect. It used principles from genetics, chemistry, biology, ecology, and geography, among others.
2. Agricultural science was taught in secondary schools in the Ovia north East Local Government Area. because many of our farmers have little or no knowledge of scientific methods, and they can only be enlightened by young people who must have studied the subject in school
3. Agricultural science in secondary school must include theories and practices, so it practically incorporates the use of all sense organs. Agricultural science makes people very healthy and physically fit. It is critical to teach agricultural science in secondary school to prevent our people from migrating from rural to urban areas.
4. Skills acquisition is one of the other direct benefits of agricultural science in secondary school students. Because agricultural principles, practice, and appreciation help to prepare them for after-school paid jobs. One of the domains ingrained in any good educational system is skill acquisition. As a result, agricultural science, like other practical subjects, aids in the development of students' psychomotor domains.
5. The purpose of this research is to investigate the factors influencing agricultural science teaching and learning in Ovia North East Local Government Area, Edo State, for example, agricultural science, unlike other subjects, has been a problem for many students. The reasons for such regress could be attributed to a severe shortage of professionally qualified teachers and instructional materials.
The purpose of this study is to investigate the factors influencing agricultural science teaching and learning in Ovia North East Local Government Area, Edo State, and to find solutions to these factors. Based on this problem, there must be a need to pay close attention in order to achieve technological advancement and aid in our daily lives. Because a solid foundation in scientific knowledge would provide a good foundation for further scientific learning, most students lack this basic foundation, which is due to some factors in agricultural science teaching and learning by teachers and students.
This research will be focused on answering the questions listed below.
i. The teaching method of the teacher is also a factor influencing agricultural science teaching and learning in Ovia North East Local Government Area, Edo State.
ii. Students in secondary schools regard agricultural science as a dirty subject.
iii. Is the lack of teaching aids a factor in the study of agricultural science in secondary schools?
iv. The problems of a severe shortage of professional qualified teachers in secondary schools constitute science.
v. The attitude of parents is a factor influencing agricultural science teaching in secondary schools.
vi. Inadequate land is another factor influencing agricultural science education.
This study is specifically aimed at analyzing and diagnosing the factor affecting the teaching and learning of agricultural science, as well as providing suitable suggestions to help improve the teaching and learning of agricultural science in secondary schools in Ovia North East Local Government Area, Edo State. The following are some of the specific goals to be met:
i. To identify the factors influencing agricultural science teaching and learning among secondary school students.
ii. To investigate the factors influencing/hindering agricultural science teaching and learning in secondary schools in the Ovia North East Local Government Area.
iii. To identify potential solutions for dealing with these factors.
iv. To make recommendations based on the findings It is hoped that the findings of this project work will be of enormous benefit to agricultural science teaching and learning throughout Ovia North East Local Government Area, Edo State, because they will be exposed to factors impeding agricultural science development.
THE STUDY'S IMPORTANCE
The study will shed some light on the factors influencing agricultural science teaching and learning in the area of study. The findings of this study will be beneficial to teachers, students, and the government of Edo State in general, as well as the Ovia North East Local Government Area in particular. The findings will guide the classroom situation; it will also be extremely beneficial to the individual, especially when aiming for self-reliance.
THE STUDY'S OBJECTIVE
The study's scope includes teachers', students', government's, and parents' attitudes toward agricultural science teaching and learning in secondary schools in Ovia North East Local Government Area, Edo State.
Do You Have New or Fresh Topic? Send Us Your Topic