THE EFFECTS OF BANK FRAUD IN THE NIGERIAN ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT AND GROWTH
1.1 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Banks has continued to witness increased number of fraud and malpractice with varying degree of sophistication. It was reported by the Nigeria Deposit Insurance Corporation (NDIC) that “Banking Industry has lost billions of naira to fraudulent activities, indicating a continuing increase in banking fraud” in the present 21st century in Nigeria.
This shows that while bank management are busy working out means of checking fraud and malpractice fraudsters on the other hand in conjunction with some dishonest bank staffs are designing new methods on how to circumvent those measures. It will then be pointed out here that the results or implication of these is damaging.
Fraud and malpractice leads to unnecessary loss of huge amount of money. This loss of money by the bank cripples banks activities and transactions.
Again, every incidence of fraud reduces public confidence on bank; hence they question the credibility of the banking industry in protecting their money and meeting up with daily transactions.
Banks fraud and malpractice delay or slow down the development of banking habits in Nigeria economy. People shy away from banks in fear of losing their money in case fraud occurs.
Banks fraud and malpractice keeps the management of banks alert and cause them to waste resources and energies on fraud prevention and detection.
1.2 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The main aim of the study is to look out for the effect of bank fraud on Nigerian Economic Development.
In view of the aforementioned problems it becomes obvious that if nothing positive is done to check the incidence of fraud, it may lead to frequent bank liquidations in the Economy.
The main objectives of this research work therefore are as followed:
1. To Carry out the survey and investigation of the major type of bank fraud and malpractice in Nigerian Economic development in 21st century using Ecobank as a case study.
2. To determine the causes and the basic factors encouraging bank fraud and malpractice and examine the various forms and area of occurrence.
3. To look into the possible effects or consequence of banks frauds and
malpractice in the operation of banks in Nigerian Economic development
in 21st century.
4. To examine the various management and government devices geared towards eliminating or controlling financial fraud.
5. To represent recommendations or solution that many help in reducing it not
eliminated, bank fraud or malpractice in Nigerian Economic development in 21st century.
1.3 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
The investigation concerning this study will be based on the following questions.
1. To what extent does fraud and malpractice affect banks earning?
2. Does fraud and malpractice lead to loss of funds in the banking industry?
3. To what extent do dishonesty bank staff, societal value and inadequate staff,
training contribute to the existence of fraud or malpractice in the banking
1.4 RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
According to Donnel and Orwell (2001) in a book American Encyclopedia Hypothesis is defined “as a preposition assured to be true merely for the purpose of argument or a preposition or theory put forward to account for an order of a body fact”.
To guide this research work and to accomplish the above outline objectives the following hypothesis will be subject to testing.
1. H01: Fraud malpractices lead to /do not lead to unnecessary loss of fraud in the Banking Industry.
2. H02: the occurrence of fraud and malpractice reduces/ do not reduce public
confidence in banking industry.
3. H03: Dishonest bank staff societal value and inadequate staff training are/are
not major causes of fraud or malpractices.
Do You Have New or Fresh Topic? Send Us Your Topic
1.5 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The main focus of this study is on the effect of fraud and malpractice on Nigerian banks with reference to Union Bank Plc, Eco bank Plc, and Skye bank.
The staff of the banks, which includes top managers, middle managers, lower managers and other staff in Asaba, Delta state.
The study cannot be said to have covered all aspect of the topic under study and no single text, articles can pretend to have done so. Since the work is purely for academic purpose.
INSTRUCTIONS AFTER PAYMENT
- 1.Your Full name
- 2. Your Active Email Address
- 3. Your Phone Number
- 4. Amount Paid
- 5. Project Topic
- 6. Location you made payment from