1.0 Background to the Study
Inter-cultural marriages occur when two people of differing racial groups marry. This is often a form of exogamy (marrying outside of one’s social group) and can be seen in the broader context of miscegenation (mixing of different racial groups in marriage). This type of union has come to study in Nigeria and it creates room for peace and harmony and makes those involved to respect each others culture and also extended to their wards and future generation because of the affinity stemming from the marriage. Looking at this subject matter objectively, inter-cultural marriages has gone a long way to promote unity and oneness among Nigerians, but the problems and prospect for children’s social adjustment is the major aim of this research work.
Research has shown that childhood in a multiracial household is altogether more cumbersome/complicated than childhood in a same-race household. Another striking issue is that children whose parents are involved in inter-cultural marriages are exposed to the cultural practices of either one or both of the parents in respect to their ethnicity. For a proper result to be obtained, this research work will center between inter-cultural marriages of Ibibio’s and Igbo’s. There are many reasons for the increase in the inter-cultural, marriages. People from different ethnicities, culture, and similar backgrounds who live in close proximity to each other are more likely to date and marry. Often times, couples in inter-cultural marriages are exposed to barriers that most married couples of the same inter-cultural are not exposed to. Inter-cultural marriages often influenced by external factors that can create dissonance and disagreement in relationships. Different cultures endure vastly diverse moral, ethical and value foundations that influence their perceptions of individual, family and societal lifestyle.
1.1 Objectives of the Study
1. The main objective of this study is to study the problem and prospect for children’s social adjustment caused by inter-cultural marriages.
2. To discover whether inter-cultural marriages between the Ibibio’s and Igbo’s could be the cause of increasing level of thuggery practiced by our children in Akwa Ibom State.
3. To ascertain the extent to which inter-cultural marriages between the Ibibio’s and Igbo’s has promoted peace and unity between these two states.
4. To study to know whether there is a correlation between inter- cultural marriage (between the Ibibio’s and Igbo’s) and greed.
1.2 Statement of Hypotheses
1. There is a significant influence of inter-cultural marriages between the Akwa Ibomites and Igbo’s on children’s social adjustment.
2. There is significant relationship between level of inter marriages of Akwa Ibomites and Igob’s and the high level of peace and tranquility in the state.
3. The lower the level of inter-cultural marriages between the Akwa Ibomites and the Igbo’s the lower the level of criminality and kidnapping in Akwa Ibom State.
PROBLEM AND PROSPECT FOR CHILDREN’S SOCIAL ADJUSTMENT CAUSED BY INTER-CULTURAL MARRIAGES