IMPROVING AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTION THROUGH CO-OPERATIVE
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Every student requires a particular institutional framework. One such framework for the student is co-operative. The word co-operative can have different interpretation. In a layman’s language, it means working together on working mutually.
The second interpretation , which is where the emphasis means a special type of co-operative. The co-operative has been defined by different schools of thought but the various in the degree of emphasis on one aspect or the other.
The school of thought describes co-operative as business undertaking owned and operated by voluntary associations in order to provide themselves with work and wages or with goods and services.
But the International Co-operative Alliance (I C A) defined co-operative as an autonomous association of persons, limited voluntarily to meet their common economic, social and cultural needs aspirations through a jointly owned and democratically controlled enterprises.
The role of co-operative in agricultural is an important topic of study but already much has been done by co-operators to justify its prime role of score securing economic and political development particularly in developed countries like England known for consumer co-operatives.
France known for industrial co-operative and Germany known for credit co-operative. Co-operative movement is world wide phenomenon. It has developed from simple traditional form(s) of mutual institution of modern formally organized institution.
This institution gained world wide acceptance because of the grate role. It has been playing in the economic development of various countries particularly in the developing countries. The improvement of agricultural production through co-operative inevitable has social effects.
Co-operative management bring better yield which in turn yields better living standard, better housing, better education for members and their families. This economic success of co-operative society has been witnessed invaluably in co-operative studies.
In Delta State, most inhabitants survive through and the main occupation is substantial farming, which attracted interest many co-operative societies, both existing ones and new initiated ones. Improving the agricultural production was their main target and interest and at the same time lifting the level of its individuals.
Improvement target was both in size and qualities were poor and could not be marketed most of the crops having pest scales and most couldn’t grow well in other to produce as expected. The product that were severely affected were yam tubers, cassava stems and tubers, cocoa yams, vegetables.
Nigeria had embarked on various programs and policies costing hundreds of millions of naira aimed at reviving the depressed agricultural sector.
In view of this, agricultural co-operative was instituted so as to organize the small scale farmers who are still involved in manual labor type of farming in co-operative and had failed to produce enough food for our teeming population thereby the country to be involved in importation of large quantity of food with a huge percentage decline in agricultural exports.
All those governmental effort have not actually had much significant improvement in this sector as much emphasis now being placed on agriculture.
The call for urgent re-examination of the role of these agricultural production sure it’s aim of facilitating the attainment of self-sufficiency in agriculture and making agriculture to take its prime position in the national economy of this country in danger.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The general purpose of this project report is undertaken as a study of the existing farmers co-operative societies and their effects in improving the development of agriculture specify.
Finally, the study has the following objective:
(a) To examine the organizational set and the operations of co-operative movement in Delta State with particular reference to Ndokwa west local government are co-operative societies, Delta.
(b) To examine the impact of the farmer co-operative and societies.
(c) To investigate the problems facing the farmers co-operative.
(d) To suggest pragmatic ways and means for enhancing the effectiveness of these societies main attempt to be as food production and assist in further research into contemporary issue on the matter.
1.4 IMPORTANCE OF THE STUDY
Agriculture is so importance in order to sustain any economy. Moreover, co-operative using the agricultural sector, thus any effort geared towards carrying out research aimed at improving the agricultural production should be considered work while any suggestion on the improvement of agricultural co-operatives should have bearing on the sector.
This is therefore the most appropriate time to study the agricultural sector concerning the prevailing economic condition of Delta state. Presently, our farmers are not adequately remunerated despite the fact they bend over double trying to make the state sufficient and self-reliant in food production.
They cannot compete with their counterparts in Nigeria not to talk of the part of the world. If they are organized in co-operative, increased productivity enhanced the profit maximized to them and then farming will once more look attractive. Based on the findings of this study and suggestions proffered it is strongly believed that the policy makers government would encourage our peasant farmers to voluntarily join the co-operative societies.
Moreover, healthy program and policies on co-operative and development would be mounted in addition, it would enable the manager of co-operative and organization to adequately organize the co-operative farmer for increased food production.
Furthermore, colleges of co-operatives, schools and researcher who wish to carry out research in this field have been provided a springboard from where they can take off.
1.5 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
1. Does co-operative helps to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of agricultural production?
2. Does agricultural product helps to improve peoples standard of living?
3. To what extent has agriculture contributed tremendously to the overall development of economic of Nigeria?
4. How can you as a member of co-operative help to remedy some of the problems facing the development of co-operative society?
5. Does government show much concern to appreciate the work of co-operative in increasing productivity?
1.6 DEFINITION OF TERMS
Most of their term (words or phrase that are used in this projects report may be unfamiliar or may have peculiar meaning and connotation.)
These terms includes:-
1. Agricultural Productivity: The index of the ratio of the value of the total form output to the value of the total input used in farm production.
2. Farm Management: The application of farming science and technology as the solution of the day to day problems facing the farms.
3. Bye –Laws: We mean the registered bye-laws made by a co-operative society which governs the activities of such society and which is made by a society in the exercise of any power conferred by the co-operative laws.
4. Small-scale Individual farmers: This implies that a farmer whose total cultivable farm land is not more than hectares and whose farm labor requirement are largely supplied by his family, his sells are good in a localized market.
He requires low initial capital investment farms on small holdings with simple technology and at least 60% of his annual income from agriculture.
5. Enofed: This means Ndokwa west local government area co-operative federal limited. It is the highest co-operative body in this state that gives supervisory to other co-operative bodies in the state.
6. Co-operative Society: It is a form of organization whereby people voluntarily associate together as human beings on the basis of equality for the promotion of the economic interests of themselves.
7. Auxiliary Co-operatives: This type provides individual service to members. The co-operatives main function are to provide credit supply and market and storage the co-operative has no hand in the supervision and management affairs of member farm.
8. Productive Type: Here there is a full integration. The co-operation absorbs all the member business enterprise that is members’ economic responsibilities are borne be the co-operatives is found in Delta, Ndokwa West Local Government Area.
9. Production Promotion Co-operative: This is co-operative by integration, the farmer depends on society for his production activities. This is a strong link between the co-operative and members in areas of management marketing credit and decision making.
IMPROVING AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTION THROUGH CO-OPERATIVE
INSTRUCTIONS AFTER PAYMENT
- 1.Your Full name
- 2. Your Active Email Address
- 3. Your Phone Number
- 4. Amount Paid
- 5. Project Topic
- 6. Location you made payment from